A Night at Craig’s Through the Lens – 3 Days
Difficulty: Grade 2 – 4 (easy – challenging)
Departing on Saturday 2 April 2022
Briefing Session on Friday 1 April 2022 at 5:00pm in Merrijig
Bookings close on Friday 4 March 2022.
What better way to take in the Victorian High Country than to break out the camera and capture some of the most breathtaking scenery you can imagine. Now imagine doing it at night. Following an amazing hike to Craig’s Hut, Tim from Under the Southern Sky Photography will lead a small workshop on shooting nightscapes – where the stunning night sky meets beautiful scenery.
This workshop will be tailored to your level of photography and nightscape experience and will guide you through anything from:
- Safety while shooting at night
- What equipment you’ll need
- How to find interesting things to shoot
- Camera settings to use
- How to focus your camera at night
- Basic processing techniques
Through to advanced topics, such as:
- How to find, place and light foreground objects to really make your art shine
- Taking and stacking multiple photos for a cleaner image
- Setting up and using a star tracker
- Advanced processing techniques and panorama stitching for the ultimate in astrophotography results
Be spoilt on this hiking photography workshop from the moment you start walking.
The hike will take you through forests of towering Alpine Ash, through Snow Gum covered alpine areas and up above the tree line with breathtaking views of the Victorian High Country as you traverse over Mt Stirling’s summit, before arriving at Craig’s Hut, where you will spend the night camping. This part of our high country is photographer’s paradise.
Craig’s Hut is a movie set built especially for the film The Man from Snowy River in 1982 and was named after the family that lived there. Today it’s one of Victoria’s most iconic places to visit, and you will have a rare opportunity to capture this iconic location at night with the assistance of a professional astrophotographer. Places are limited, only 6 people will get the opportunity to join us on this amazing adventure.
- Three days of guided hiking with an experienced guide
- Photography workshop delivered by Under the Southern Sky Photography
- Transfers between Merrijig and the hike’s start and finish
- All hiking equipment – tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, walking poles, gaiters, cooking stove including fuel, pots, bowls, cups and utensils, head torch, sleeping bag liner
- One night accommodation at Merrijig High Country Hotel on Friday 1 April 2022 (shared accommodation)
- One night accommodation in a two man tent on Saturday 2 April 2022 (twin share)
- One night accommodation at a lodge at Mt Buller on Sunday 3 April 2022, including linen, towels, soap, shampoo and conditioner (shared accommodation)
- The following meals are provided:
- Friday 1 April 2022 – dinner
- Saturday 2 April 2022 – breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner with dessert
- Sunday 3 April 2022 – breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner with dessert
- Monday 4 April 2022 – breakfast
Tour does not include
- Accommodation prior to and post tour dates
- Meals, drinks and snacks other than the ones listed above under “Tour includes” section
- Transport to and from Merrijig other than transfers between the hike’s start and finish
- Travel/medical insurance, ambulance cover
What to bring
- Personal items and clothing – refer to Essential Info/Equipment
- Duffle bag or a backpack (to store all your personal items, which will be dropped off at the campsite by our Base Camp Manager)
- Daypack/camera bag with wet weather cover – large enough to carry your camera, as there will be photo opportunities along the way, 2 litres of water, lunch, snacks and appropriate clothing
- A camera with manual control (DSLR or mirrorless is ideal) and spare batteries
- A wide-angle lens (the wider, the easier to start nightscapes with)
- A tripod
- A camera trigger if you have one
- A laptop, if you want to edit your own photos
- Money if you want to purchase alcoholic or soft drinks at the restaurants
If you have any questions on the gear you have and what to bring, please contact Tim at email@example.com and if you have any other questions, please contact Romana at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0407 827 833.
A Night at Craig’s Through the Lens will only proceed if there are 6 participants. That is also the maximum number of participants.
Bookings must be made no later than 4 March 2022 and payment in full is required upon booking.
In addition to our standard Terms and Conditions, no refund will be provided should you cancel your booking and Terms and Conditions for Under the Southern Sky Photography also apply. You can access the Under the Southern Sky Terms and Conditions here.
If the tour doesn’t proceed due to lack of participants, your booking will either be transferred to another date or payment will be refunded in full.
$1,500.00 per person plus GST
You will be required to carry approximately 2 litres of drinking water each day.
Any water collected along the track must be treated before consumption.
Toilets are available at the following locations.
- Start of the hike at Telephone Box Junction
- Bluff Spur Memorial Hut – first day lunch spot
- Craig’s Hut – overnight campsite
- King Saddle Hut – second day lunch spot
- King Saddle Shelter – mid afternoon on day 2
- Mt Buller – from the end of day 2 until the end of the hike
A briefing session will take place the day before the start of the tour at 5:00pm sharp at Merrijig High Country Hotel. Please contact us if you are running late. It is very important that all tour participants attend the briefing session. This is where we will get to know each other, distribute equipment, discuss the tour and answer any questions. Tim will also cover some of the theory side of Astro.
|Tour Date||Tour Name||Price Per Person||Status|