Winter Escape to Craig’s – 3 Days
Difficulty: Grade 4 – 5 (challenging – hard)
Bookings close 14 days prior to tour start date. If you wish to make a booking within 14 days of the tour start date, contract us via our Contact Us page to check availability.
Overnight backpack only option available.
Enjoy three days of guided snowshoe hiking around the beautiful Mt Stirling and Clear Hills. This is a true winter adventure that will take you from well maintained cross country ski trails of Mt Stirling to the unmaintained backcountry trails of the Victorian High Country. On this hike you will enjoy beautiful Alpine Ash forests, majestic Snow Gums, breathtaking views and high country huts, including Craig’s Hut, which was a movie set built especially for the film The Man from Snowy River in 1982 and was named after the family that lived there. Today it’s one of Victoria’s most iconic places to visit. This adventure is physically and mentally demanding, therefore requires good level of fitness and mental strength. You will be required to wear snowshoes and carry an overnight backpack for the entire hike. The backpack will weigh around 25kg. You will also need warm, waterproof winter clothing.
- Three days of guided snowshoe hiking with an experienced guide
- Transfers between Merrijig and the track’s start and finish
- All hiking equipment – tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, walking poles, gaiters, snowshoes, overnight backpack, cooking stove including fuel, pots, bowls, cups and utensils, head torch, sleeping bag liner
- Two nights accommodation in a two man tent (twin share)
- Meals – if meals option is selected, the following meals will be provided: 2 x breakfasts, 2 x morning snacks, 3 x lunches, 2 x afternoon snacks, 2 x dinners including dessert
- Mt Stirling Resort entry fees
Tour does not include
- Accommodation prior to and post tour dates
- Meals and snacks (unless meals option selected) – refer to Essential Info/Food for some ideas
- Transport to and from Merrijig other than transfers between the track’s start and finish
- Personal items and clothing – refer to Essential Info/Equipment
- Travel/medical insurance, ambulance cover
Scroll to the bottom of the page for winter 2022 tour dates
$960.00 per person plus GST – hike only $1,100.00 per person plus GST – hike including meals
Maximum group of 6 participants
Water For information regarding water needs and availability on this hiking tour, refer to Essential Info/Water Requirements.
Toilets are available at the following locations.
- Start and end of the hike at Telephone Box Junction
- Machinery Shed – first day mid afternoon
- King Spur Hut – overnight campsite (first night)
- G.G.S. Hut – second day mid morning
- Craig’s Hut – overnight campsite (second night)
- Bluff Spur Memorial Hut – second day lunch spot
A briefing session will take place on the day of the tour at 10:00am sharp at Merrijig Motor Inn. Please make sure that you allow sufficient time to get to the briefing session on time and contact us if you are running late. It is very important that all tour participants attend the briefing session. This is where we will get to know each other, distribute equipment, discuss the tour and answer any questions. We will depart for the hike immediately after the briefing.
|Tour Date||Tour Name||Price Per Person||Status|
|1 Jul - 3 Jul 2022||Winter Escape to Craig’s – 3 Days (Click To Book)||$960.00||6 Places AvailableBook Now|
|29 Jul - 31 Jul 2022||Winter Escape to Craig’s – 3 Days (Click To Book)||$960.00||6 Places AvailableBook Now|
|26 Aug - 28 Aug 2022||Winter Escape to Craig’s – 3 Days (Click To Book)||$960.00||6 Places AvailableBook Now|