Remote Ritchie’s Hut – 2 Days
Nestled amongst the mountains and on the banks of the Howqua River where Fourteen Mile Creek flows in, is Ritchie’s Hut. Is was built by Robert, the son of Geoffrey Ritchie, with the aid of Fred Fry in late 1947 as a fishing hut. Geoffrey Ritchie and Antoinette Ritchie first moved to “Delatite” near Mansfield in 1902 and bought “Wonnangatta Station” in 1914. Ritchie’s Hut burnt down in January 2007 in bushfires and was rebuilt in May 2009.
Enjoy two days of guided walking along the Howqua River in the beautiful Victorian High Country where the smell of eucalyptus and earth is so strong, it takes over your senses. Breathe the clean fresh air and tune in to hear the numerous birds that call the Victorian High Country their home.
• Two days of guided walking with an experienced guide
• Transfers between Merrijig and the track’s start and finish • All equipment – tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, walking poles, gaiters, backpack, cooking stove including fuel, pots, bowls, cups and utensils, head torch, sleeping bag liner (not including personal items, clothing, food and drinks – refer to Essential Info/Equipment list for further information)
• One night accommodation in a two man tent (twin share)
Tour does not include
• Accommodation prior to and post tour dates
• Meals, snacks, drinks – refer to Essential Info/Food for some ideas
• Transport to and from Merrijig other than transfers between the track’s start and finishing points
• Personal items and clothing, refer to Essential Info/Equipment
• Travel/medical insurance, ambulance cover
Scroll to the bottom of the page for 2020/2021 season tour dates
$400.00 per person plus GST Maximum group of 6 participants
There is water available from Howqua River and some creeks along this track. However, this water must be treated or boiled before consumption.
Please make sure you bring sufficient water for the first day’s walk.
Refer to Essential Info/Water Requirements for further information.
Toilets are available at the following locations.
• Pit toilet at the start of the walk at Eight Mile Flat
• Pit toilet at Ritchie’s Hut
A briefing session will take place the day before the start of the tour at 6:00pm sharp at Merrijig Motor Inn. Please contact us if you are not able to attend the briefing session or if you will be running late. It is very important that all tour participants attend the briefing session. This is where we will get to know each other, distribute equipment, discuss the tour and answer any questions.
|Tour Date||Tour Name||Price Per Person||Status|
|8 May - 9 May 2021||Remote Ritchie’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book)||$400.00||6 Places AvailableBook Now|
|22 May - 23 May 2021||Remote Ritchie’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book)||$400.00||6 Places AvailableBook Now|
|12 Jun - 13 Jun 2021||Remote Ritchie’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book)||$400.00||6 Places AvailableBook Now|