Remote Ritchie’s Hut
a little gem hidden deep in the mountains of the Victorian High Country
Remote Ritchie’s Hut – 2 Days
Difficulty: Grade 2 – 3 (easy – moderate)
Bookings close 7 days prior to tour start date. If you wish to make a booking within 7 days of the tour start date, contract us via our Contact Us page to confirm availability.
Overnight backpack only option available.
Nestled amongst the mountains, on the banks of the Howqua River where Fourteen Mile Creek flows in, is Ritchie’s Hut. Is was built by Robert, the son of Geoffrey Ritchie, with the aid of Fred Fry in late 1947 as a fishing hut. Geoffrey Ritchie and Antoinette Ritchie first moved to “Delatite” near Mansfield in 1902 and bought “Wonnangatta Station” in 1914.
Enjoy two days of guided hiking along the Howqua River in the beautiful Victorian High Country where the smell of earth and eucalyptus is so strong, it takes over your senses. Breathe the clean fresh air and tune in to hear the numerous birds that call the Victorian High Country their home.
- Two days of guided hiking with an experienced guide
- Transfers between Merrijig and the track’s start and finish
- All hiking equipment – tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, walking poles, gaiters, backpack, cooking stove including fuel, pots, bowls, cups and utensils, head torch, sleeping bag liner
- One night accommodation in a two man tent (twin share)
- Meals – if meals option is selected, the following meals will be provided: 1 x breakfast, 2 x morning snack, 1 x lunch, 1 x afternoon snack, 1 x dinner, 1 x dessert
Tour does not include
- Accommodation prior to and post tour dates
- Meals and snacks (unless meals option selected) – refer to Essential Info/Food for some ideas
- Transport to and from Merrijig other than transfers between the track’s start and finish
- Personal items and clothing, refer to Essential Info/Equipment
- Travel/medical insurance, ambulance cover
Scroll to the bottom of the page for 2021/2022 season tour dates
$425.00 per person plus GST – hike only
$485.00 per person plus GST – hike including meals
Maximum group of 6 participants
For information regarding water needs and availability on this hiking tour, refer to Essential Info/Water Requirements.
Toilets are available at the following locations.
- Start and finish of the hike at Eight Mile Flat
- Ritchie’s Hut – overnight campsite
A briefing session will take place the day before the start of the tour at 6:00pm sharp at Merrijig High Country Hotel. Please contact us if you are not able to attend the briefing session or if you will be running late. It is very important that all tour participants attend the briefing session. This is where we will get to know each other, distribute equipment, discuss the tour and answer any questions.
|Tour Date||Tour Name||Price Per Person||Status|