Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days
Difficulty: Grade 3 – 4 (moderate – challenging)
Bookings close 7 days prior to tour start date. If you wish to make a booking within 7 days of the tour start date, contact us via our Contact Us page to confirm availability.
Daypack and overnight backpack options available.
Enjoy two days of guided hiking around Mt Stirling with an overnight camp at Craig’ Hut.
Mt Stirling is a popular winter playground offering many kilometers of beautiful cross country ski trails, which in spring, summer and autumn become wonderful hiking trails. During spring and summer you will enjoy an array of wildflowers covering the hillsides. This hike will take you through forests of towering Alpine Ash, through Snow Gum covered alpine areas and up above the tree line with breathtaking views of the Victorian High Country as you traverse over Mt Stirling’s summit. You will spend a night at Craig’s Hut, which was a movie set built especially for the film The Man from Snowy River in 1982 and was named after the family that lived there. Today it’s one of Victoria’s most iconic places to visit.
Overnight backpack vs daypack On this hike you can opt to either carry a daypack only, or an overnight backpack. The choice is yours. If you choose to carry a daypack, all the hiking equipment, your personal items, food and water, other then what you will require while on the track, will be dropped off at the campsite by our Base Camp Manager. If you choose to carry an overnight backpack, you will have the experience of being totally self sufficient.
- Two days of guided hiking with an experienced guide
- Transfers between Merrijig and the track’s start and finish
- All hiking equipment – tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, walking poles, gaiters, overnight backpack, cooking stove including fuel, pots, bowls, cups and utensils, head torch, sleeping bag liner
- One night accommodation in a two man tent (twin share)
- Meals – if meals option is selected, the following meals will be provided: 1 x breakfast, 2 x morning snack, 2 x lunch, 1 x afternoon snack, 1 x dinner, 1 x dessert
Tour does not include
- Accommodation prior to and post tour dates
- Meals and snacks (unless meals option selected) – refer to Essential Info/Food for some ideas
- Transport to and from Merrijig other than transfers between the track’s start and finish
- Personal items and clothing – refer to Essential Info/Equipment
- Duffle bag (to store all your belongings if you choose to carry a daypack only)
- Daypack with wet weather cover (if you choose to carry a daypack only)
- Travel/medical insurance, ambulance cover
Scroll to the bottom of the page for 2021/2022 season tour dates
$465.00 per person plus GST – hike only $540.00 per person plus GST – hike including meals
Maximum group of 6 participants
Water For information regarding water needs and availability on this hiking tour, refer to Essential Info/Water Requirements.
Toilets are available at the following locations.
- Start and end of the hike at Telephone Box Junction
- Bluff Spur Memorial Hut – first day lunch spot
- Craig’s Hut – overnight campsite
- King Saddle Hut – second day lunch spot
- King Saddle Shelter – near the end of the hike
A briefing session will take place the day before the start of the tour at 6:00pm sharp at Merrijig Motor Inn. Please contact us if you are not able to attend the briefing session or if you will be running late. It is very important that all tour participants attend the briefing session. This is where we will get to know each other, distribute equipment, discuss the tour and answer any questions. This is also your last opportunity to let us know if you wish to carry an overnight backpack or a daypack.
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on December 4, 2021 8:15 am
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on January 2, 2022 8:15 am
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on January 25, 2022 8:15 am
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on January 29, 2022 8:15 am
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on February 26, 2022 8:15 am
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on March 26, 2022 8:15 am
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on April 15, 2022 8:15 am
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on April 30, 2022 8:15 am
- Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days (Click To Book) on May 28, 2022 8:15 am