Iconic Craig’s Hut
made famous by the movie “The Man From Snowy River”
Iconic Craig’s Hut – 2 Days
Difficulty: Grade 3 (moderate)
Total distance: approximately 23km
Bookings close 9 days prior to tour start date. If you wish to make a booking within 9 days of the tour start date, contact us via our Contact Us page to confirm availability.
This is a daypack carry hike only. However, if you’d like the experience of carrying an overnight backpack, we can arrange that too. Just let us know.
This hike is achievable for children 13 years plus. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Enjoy two days of guided hiking around Mt Stirling with an overnight camp at Craig’ Hut.
Mt Stirling is a popular winter playground offering many kilometres of beautiful cross country ski trails, which in spring, summer and autumn become wonderful hiking trails. During spring and summer you will enjoy an array of wildflowers covering the hillsides.
This hike will take you through forests of towering Alpine Ash, through Snow Gum covered alpine areas and up above the tree line with breathtaking views of the Victorian High Country as you traverse over Mt Stirling’s summit.
You will spend a night at Craig’s Hut, which was a movie set built especially for the film The Man from Snowy River in 1982 and was named after the family that lived there. Today it’s one of Victoria’s most iconic places to visit.
- Two days of guided hiking with an experienced guide
- Transfers between Merrijig and the hiking track
- All hiking and camping equipment – tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, pillow, sit mat, walking poles, gaiters, overnight backpack (if you opted to carry one), cooking stove including fuel, pots, bowls, cups and utensils, head torch, sleeping bag liner, blanket during colder nights
- One night accommodation in a two man tent (twin share)
- Meals: 1 breakfast, 3 snacks, 2 lunches, 1 dinner and dessert, tea/coffee and sugar, milk is also available, wine, beer, juice (some meals are dehydrated or freeze dried)
- Drinking water is available at the campsite
Tour does not include
- Accommodation prior to and post tour dates
- Meals, snacks and beverages other than what is included in the tour. You are welcome to bring additional food and drinks. Our Base Camp Manager will deliver them to the campsite. Please make sure that they are labelled with your name. Space in the fridge is limited, therefore we cannot guarantee that they will be cold.
- Transport to and from Merrijig other than transfers as per tour inclusions
- Personal items and clothing – refer to General Info/Equipment
- Duffle bag (to store all your belongings in)
- Daypack with wet weather cover
- Travel/medical insurance, ambulance cover
Scroll to the bottom of the page for 2023/2024 season tour dates
$726.00 per person including GST
Maximum group of 6 participants
For information regarding water needs and availability on this hiking tour, refer to General Info/Water Requirements.
Toilets are available at the following locations.
- Start and end of the hike at Telephone Box Junction
- Bluff Spur Memorial Hut – first day lunch spot
- G.G.S. Hut – early afternoon on day one and around noon on day two
- Craig’s Hut – overnight campsite
- King Spur Hut – second day lunch spot
- Cricket Pitch – afternoon on day two
- King Saddle Shelter – near the end of the hike
A briefing session will take place the day before the start of the tour at 6:00pm sharp at Merrijig High Country Hotel. Please contact us if you are not able to attend the briefing session or if you will be running late. It is very important that all tour participants attend the briefing session. This is where we will get to know each other, distribute equipment, discuss the tour and answer any questions.
|Price Per Person