Craig’s Hut – 2 Days
Craig’s Hut was a movie set built especially for the film The Man from Snowy River in 1982 and was named after the family that lived there. The lead actor, Jim Craig was played by Tom Burlinson. The hut standing today is the 4th version. Version 3 burnt down by wild fire on 11 December 2006 and the hut was again rebuilt in 2007. The original hut was a movie set only and had no floor. It has been replaced with a more robust version as it became popular with visitors.
Craig’s Hut is one of Victoria’s most iconic places to visit.
Enjoy two days of guided walking up and around Mt Stirling with stunning views of Mt Buller and surrounding peaks. Watch the vegetation change along the way from tall Alpine Ash to beautiful Snow Gums and keep an eye out for deer, wallabies and lyre birds, not to mention all the various parrots such as Cockatoos, Rosellas and Galahs. The sunrise and sunset at Craig’s Hut are the perfect opportunity to put your camera to work and capture the beauty of this area.
• Two days of guided walking with an experienced guide.
• Transfers between Merrijig and the track’s start and finish points
• All equipment – tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, walking poles, gaiters, backpack, cooking stove including fuel, pots, bowls, cups and utensils, head torch, sleeping bag liner (not including personal items, clothing, food and drinks – refer to Essential Info/Equipment list for further information)
• One night accommodation in a two man tent (twin share)
Tour does not include
• Accommodation prior to and post tour dates
• Meals, snacks, drinks – refer to Essential Info/Food for some ideas
• Transport to and from Merrijig other than transfers between the track’s start and finishing points
• Personal items and clothing
• Travel/medical insurance, ambulance cover
Tour dates for 2018/2019 season
* 10 – 11 November 2018
* 01 – 02 December 2018
* 19 – 20 January 2019
* 16 – 17 February 2019
* 16 – 17 March 2019
* 11 – 12 May 2019
Shared experience per person: $430.00 plus GST Private group of 6: $430.00 per person plus GST
Private group of 5: $505.00 per person plus GST
Private group of 4: $610.00 per person plus GST Private group of 3: $795.00 per person plus GST Private group of 2: $1,160.00 per person plus GST
Private tour (one on one): $2,260.00 plus GST
Bluff Spur Hut has a rain water tank, but it cannot be relied upon. All tank water must be treated before drinking. It is recommended to bring sufficient water for the two days. Refer to Essential Info/Water Requirements for further information.
Toilets are available at the following locations.
• At the start of the walk at Telephone Box Junction
• Pit toilet at Bluff Spur Hut
• Pit toilet at Craig’s Hut
• Pit toilet at Cricket Pitch Hut
• Pit toilet at King Saddle Shelter
A briefing session will take place the day before the start of the tour at 7:00pm sharp at Merrijig Motor Inn. Please contact us if you are not able to attend the briefing session or if you will be running late. It is very important that all tour participants attend the briefing session. This is where we will get to know each other, distribute equipment, discuss the tour and answer any questions.