Craig’s Hut Discovery Hike
Craig’s Hut was a movie set built especially for the film The Man from Snowy River in 1982 and was named after the family that lived there. The lead actor, Jim Craig was played by Tom Burlinson. The hut standing today is the 4th version. Version 3 burnt down by wild fire on 11 December 2006 and the hut was again rebuilt in 2007. The original hut was a movie set only and had no floor. It has been replaced with a more robust version as it became popular with visitors.
Craig’s Hut is one of Victoria’s most iconic places to visit.
2.4km (moderate) Time on track – approximately 1 hour 15 minutes plus time at Craig’s Hut plus approximately 1 hour 30 minutes driving
Meet at Telephone Box Junction 30 minutes prior to start of the tour. Telephone Box Junction is accessible by a 2WD vehicle and there is plenty of parking. The road is unsealed, but well graded and easy to travel on. Care should be taken on mountain roads at all times.
We will run through a briefing session, approximately 15 minutes. All tours must depart on time, so please make sure that you arrive early enough for the briefing session.
After the briefing session, our Base Camp Manager will drive us through a beautiful Alpine Ash forest, with occasional views of Mt Cobbler, to the start of the hiking track. This is where we’ll pick up a narrow track that winds up to Craig’s Hut through Alpine Ash that gradually change to the mysterious looking Snow Gums. There are some short steep sections along this track that will give you little bit of a workout, but the stops to enjoy the views are a nice opportunity to catch your breath. In no time at all, you will arrive at Craig’s Hut where you will have free time to discover this wonderful icon at your own leisure. About half an hour later, we will retrace our steps back down the track, but this time our Base Camp Manager will be waiting for us only about 600m down the hill. Once comfortably nestled in the car, we will make our way back to Telephone Box Junction via Howqua Gap, completing the full Circuit Road circle.
The entire drive is on an unsealed road with short section on a 4 wheel drive only track.
This tour is suitable for families with children as young as 6 years old.
Elevation at highest point: approx. 1480m ASL Total ascent: approx. 170m Total descent: approx. 90m
What to bring
- Day pack – one or two, depending on the size of your group and your needs
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Appropriate comfortable clothing
- Sun hat – on sunny days
- Personal First Aid Kit – mainly band aids, blister band aids and personal medication
- Water – sufficient amount for the entire hike
- Toilet paper
Tour does not include
- Meals, snacks, drinks
- Personal items and clothing
- Travel/medical insurance, ambulance cover
- Child safety seats (please bring your own if your child requires one)
Scroll to the bottom of the page for 2019/2020 season tour dates
Prices Adults – per person: $110.00 plus GST Children – under 18 years of age: $95.00 plus GST
Minimum group of 2 participants Maximum group of 6 participants
Water There is no drinking water available along this track. We recommend that you bring sufficient amount of water for the entire hike. You can purchase water and other drinks at the Mt Stirling Café when it’s open. However, please note that the café is not open every day. Refer to the Mt Stirling website for opening hours. If you need to collect water along the track from any source, it must be purified. You will need to bring your own water treatment device.
Toilets Toilets are available at the following locations.
- Telephone Box Junction
- Start of the hiking track on Circuit Road
- Craig’s Hut
- Howqua Gap
- Craig’s Hut Discovery Hike: 2:00pm-5:00pm – Family Friendly (Click To Book) on December 21, 2019 2:00 pm
- Craig’s Hut Discovery Hike: 2:00pm-5:00pm – Family Friendly (Click To Book) on January 11, 2020 2:00 pm
- Craig’s Hut Discovery Hike: 2:00pm-5:00pm – Family Friendly (Click To Book) on March 7, 2020 2:00 pm
- Craig’s Hut Discovery Hike: 2:00pm-5:00pm – Family Friendly (Click To Book) on March 15, 2020 2:00 pm
- Craig’s Hut Discovery Hike: 2:00pm-5:00pm – Family Friendly (Click To Book) on March 29, 2020 2:00 pm
- Craig’s Hut Discovery Hike: 2:00pm-5:00pm – Family Friendly (Click To Book) on April 11, 2020 2:00 pm
- Craig’s Hut Discovery Hike: 9:30am-12:30pm – Family Friendly (Click To Book) on April 13, 2020 9:30 am